30 years of impact
Together with its network of hunger-relief agencies and generous donors, Second Harvest makes a difference by bringing the most basic of needs — food — to the table for families in Crawford, Erie, Huron and Lorain Counties.
The 2011-2012 Annual Report celebrates 30 years of impact for this food bank that began as a hunger relief program.
Second Harvest wanted this report to celebrate 30 years of service with its many stakeholders — donors, supporters, advocates, volunteers, agencies and the community — while highlighting the need and the impact through its many programs and agency network.
A 30-year timeline, with key events highlighted, greets the reader when they opened the report. The main story of the need and Second Harvest’s impact was told through infographics. The numbers are informative — but they become inspirational when presented visually.
Every piece cannot tell the entire story of the mission of an organization and the cause it supports. This report successfully enables SHFB to tell a compelling story with a few well-chosen words that inspire and resonate with all of its stakeholders.
The narrative of the report was guided by Aespire’s cause manifesto principles:
- Be Meaningful: Beyond its mission and vision, reminding readers of its purpose — as the leader in alleviating hunger — and making it clear and compelling.
- Be Trusted: By being transparent, and telling the truth — in this case through accurate financials, statistics and data.
- Be Positive: Even for a challenge as great as eliminating hunger, the real story is about the compassion, generosity, volunteerism, partnership, stewardship, and the abundance in our region.
- Be Thankful: Second Harvest acknowledges that its success is achieved through the support of its donors, partners and volunteers.
- Be Inspiring: Second Harvest reflects on 30 years of growth and progress, its role in eliminating hunger, and a confident, positive outlook for the future.
From print to pixels
The printed version of the Annual Report was distributed to key donors, and an online version is integrated into the Second Harvest web site using the page-turning technology from issuu.com.
Elements from the annual, such as the infographics and design style, are being repurposed as engagement and outreach tools, to demonstrate what specific agencies are served in specific counties throughout Second Harvest’s service area.
Another first for Second Harvest
With the development of an iPad version of the Annual Report, Second Harvest achieves another first — by becoming the first food bank to distribute its annual report via iTunes. This approach reinforces the transparency that Second Harvest strives for, and affirms the trust that donors and advocates have for the organization.
At the present time, this feature is no longer online.